It’s taken a bit longer than initially planned, mainly due to the scope of the project expanding, and there are still some finishing touches to work on but for all intents and purposes we are done with the games room renos!
This makes me more than a little bit happy. Especially when I get to use it this weekend!
It is a dark time for the renovators. Laid low by sickness and malaise the renovations crawl to a snail’s pace and progress is slim.
Okay, that’s not entirely true but I had hoped to be further along than we are from the last update.
It’s been a month since I last posted in general and in that span both Tam and I caught a nasty flu bug that laid us on our asses for about two whole weeks. We muddled along though, and managed to make some progress despite the affliction.
Right now the subfloor is 100% in, drywall is also completed and first and second coats of mud are done. I just have to finish sanding the second coat and possibly do a third in a few places as they’re a bit sketchy quality wise.
Next up is paint which I’m not looking forward to and then flooring. Once that’s done then I’ll start moving stuff back in. I’m hoping to be done by the end of the month but it will really all depend on how distracted Tam gets with the hallway just outside of the room.
It became a project unto itself when she realised that the flooring would need to continue to the stairs and for that to happen we needed walls and such to base size off of. She’s been focused on the intricacies of that room while I’m stuck sanding.
Here is a panorama of the project somewhere between first and second coats of mud. It’s about 2 weeks old. I haven’t done one recently because a fine white dust from the sanding has settled over everything.
Once I get the dust cleaned up I’ll throw another pic up to better show our progress.
So I’m going to try and resist posting a plethora of updates about my games room renovations. I’d rather just show the end result when that comes about and be able to contrast the before with the after. I feel it’ll have more impact.
As it stands now, we’re still in the demolition stage, though we’re pretty sure that we’ve torn everything up that we need to and barring a few small tweaks here and there we should start the actual construction right away… well, once we do another dump run or six. Hard to believe one room can generate so much garbage and construction waste.
A little over a year and a half ago, my wife and I started discussing what we were going to do with our basement. As it stood, it was a hodgepodge of tool rooms, odd shaped (and cramped) bedrooms and the world’s worst bathroom. It was in dire need of an overhaul.
We discussed options and talked about tearing down walls and expanding the master bedroom. We dickered back and forth on which way we would go and what we’d do. Ultimately her practicality won out.
We would renovate the old small bedroom that I was using as an office and the tool room and turn it into a new master bedroom. We’d revamp the bathroom and laundry room and we would turn the old master bedroom into a new office/nerd cave. It was really the only concession I got on the whole plan and I think I only got it because, I said I wanted a secret door in the bookshelf.
Last winter we tore into it and started on our master bedroom. We finished it sometime in March or April and it was glorious to have space to walk around in.
Summer came and we left the project alone to focus on the garage and other outdoor projects. However, we both knew the Stark motto was true: Winter is Coming.
Christmas was the usual hectic gong show but now that it’s over, we decided to get stuck in. As we had decided to leave the bathroom and laundry room for last due to the “fun”, finicky plumbing and tiling bits, the next job was my nerd cave
Eventually, it’s supposed to look something like this:
I’m hoping we’ll be done sometime in March or early April. I can’t wait! Mainly because then I don’t have to lug 40kgs of Star Wars books all over creation every time we game.