Heh, I wouldn’t be me if the first thing I did after working today, wasn’t immediately start pricing out gear for my new computer.
It may take me about 3 or 4 paycheques to accomplish the basic setup and another 2 or 3 to get it exactly where I want it but this is what I’ve come up with so far and now I have a goal. Muwhahahahahah!
The Basic Rig is as follows:
- 1× ASUS Maximus Extreme Motherboard
- 1× Intel Duo Core 3.0 Ghz Processor
- 1× Sapphire HD 3870 512MB Video Card
- 1× 2 GB DDR3 1066 RAM
- 1× 1 Terabyte Western Digital SATA Hard Drive
And the Advanced Rig will be as follows.
- Upgrade the processor to an Intel Extreme Quad Core 3.0 Ghz Processor
- Increase the Ram to 4 or 6 GB (or all the way to 8 if I can find it cheap enough)
- Add another HD and put them in a RAID 0 Config. 2 TB of space!
- And of course get another Video Card and Crossfire link them.
Beyond that. The next upgrade will be a 20″ widescreen HD monitor and eventually either a Blu-Ray or HD compatible DVD Rom (depending on whichever product wins that war – though I suspect it’ll be Blu-Ray). After that… it’ll be laptop time… and I’m seriously tempted to shell out the $ and get me an Alienware rig… either that or one of the World of Warcraft XPS ones from Dell.
I’m even tempted to pick up an OEM copy of Vista *shudder* when I grab the CPU just so as I have it.
And now, I’m off to dream of electric sheep…. So I guess that means the answer to Phillip K. Dick’s question would be yes.